In today’s highly charged world with attacks on our sport… with firearms ownership and commerce continuing to come under attack from ignorant extremists who actually display no logic, it is important to stay informed on the issues before our legislature. Being informed allows each of to have a voice; and to exercise that voice by contacting our elected officials and telling them our position on firearms matters. [Read more…]
Click the link below to read this article in a PDF
by Larry Stolle
Personal Protection is an extremely “fluid” process. Awareness, flexibility and the ability to improvise and adapt to the situation presented are crucial. You train so that you prevail. Training also includes avoiding mistakes, mistakes that happen long before a serious encounter occurs.
Here are 3 lethal mistakes that CPL holders make all the time…these mistakes put the CPL holder in grave danger.
Not learning how to shoot with both eyes OPEN. Because when you’re jacked-up on adrenaline and your heart is pounding out of your chest, it is physiologically impossible to “squint” one eye. It’s NOT going to happen. You must learn to make accurate shots with both eyes open.
A second compelling reason is that keeping both eyes open allows broader peripheral vision. Bad things come in pairs or more. Seeing what is not right in front of you can save your life!
Not carrying a backup magazine. Guys work in pairs. You may miss. You need as many bullets as you can carry.
Firearms can jam. Clearing that jam may involve dropping the magazine. You need a spare magazine in a place that you know…so you do not have to search the ground at your feet. You should always have a spare magazine! (And practice reloading at eye level).
Choosing the wrong belt and holster. Most guys only think about which gun and ammo they need. They don’t realize that choosing the wrong holster and belt can get you killed! (You need a stiff leather belt, double leather thickness or one with a Kydex core, which is NOT available at a regular clothing store).
Pocket holsters are nice for deep concealment…but slow to engage…don’t make pocket guns part of your protection plan unless you have no other choice!
What does the Bible say regarding personal protection?
by Larry Stolle
Some words to consider from the Bible…personal protection was just as serious then as it is now?
And He said to them, “But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.”
Like a trampled spring and polluted well is a righteous man who gives way before the wicked.
When I saw their fear, I rose and spoke to the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people: “Do not be afraid of them; remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives and your houses.”
“If the thief is caught while breaking in and is struck so that he dies, there will be no bloodguiltiness on his account.
Even in light of the facts that prove gun ownership reduces crime, not everybody supports the right to bear arms. So when facts don’t work to persuade somebody of the value of guns, you might try a little social proof by sharing some of the quotes below.
With that in mind, here are the top 10 best gun quotes around that you can fire off at liberals…
- “To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…”
~Richard Henry Lee
- “Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.”
- “A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders.”
- “One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
- “The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed.”
- “The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones
- “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
- “Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
~Sheriff Jim Wilson
- “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
~Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
- “I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
By: Tiger McKee, director of Shootrite Firearms Academy
Skill Set: What You Need To Know
Recently I asked a few friends and fellow instructors what they thought were the five most important things someone who keeps or carries a firearm should know. These guys are older than me, and have spent a lifetime in the gun business. Each of them have put in long hours on the range – training and teaching – and just as much time in the world, both professionally and as armed civilians. The fact that they are still around and sharing their knowledge is testimony to their skills. What’s interesting, but after thinking about it not really surprising, is that everyone’s list contained pretty much the same things.
- Know the law. As a gun owner it’s your responsibility to know the laws – local, state, and federal – as to carrying and the use of your weapon. This is a serious matter, and as they say, “Ignorance is no excuse,” especially in some of the more restrictive areas of the country. You have to know where you can and can’t carry; understanding when you’re justified in using your weapon is mandatory.
- Have a competent attorney on hand. Someone you can contact at any hour in case you end up in a confrontation and using your weapon. Meet them and learn what to expect if you are involved in a lethal confrontation. The aftermath of using lethal force can consume a lot of time, money, physical and emotional stress – and this is when you do everything right.
- Develop and exercise situational awareness. Everyone I surveyed stated that spotting a potential problem before it turns into real trouble is the key to winning the confrontation. The sooner you start solving the problem the more options are available. Your options are kind of limited if the threat is already on top of you applying serious hurt.
- Attend training, and practice regularly. There is a lot more to self-defense than shooting. You have to understand the basics of self-defense, which are moving, communicating, the use of cover, shooting if necessary – combative shooting, not target shooting – and the tactics necessary to defend yourself or family against a violent attack. At the top of your tactics list are avoidance and escape.
- Last, but certainly not least, you must have reliable gear. Your weapon must function all the time, every time. You have to figure out what carry method works best for you as an individual. Once you discover your “way” stick to it, and practice to fine tune the small details. Remember, this is a martial art, not a science.
Owning, carrying, and if necessary using a firearm for self-defense is a serious matter, and should be approached accordingly. If you’re not going to commit the time and resources to know and learn the fundamentals you’re better off not carrying a weapon. Firearms are great tools, if used correctly. Make a mistake, and you can lose everything. Being ready is an individual responsibility. This means it’s up to you, and you alone.
With all these guns out there…where is all the violent crime going?
by Larry Stolle
Let’s get started on answering that question. Let’s first turn to murder. The murder rate in the United States (according the FBI Unified Crime Reporting Data Online, www.ucrddatatool.gov) from 1960 to 2012 has fallen from its high water mark in 1990 at just over 10 per 100,000 population to 1960 levels or just under 5.0 per 100,000 population. Yes, that is half the rate is was less than 25 years ago.
Looking into the Violent crime rate per 100,000 population we see that violent crime rate, which includes murder, robbery, rape and aggravated assault, has fallen to less than 400 per 100,000 population in 2012. True, in 1960 that rate was about 160 per 100,000, but consider that the reporting of rape is now significantly more likely than it was in 1960…it may actually be even less on an adjusted basis.
AMAZING, isn’t it? And with all those guns out there that the liberals and the media decry it is even more amazing. How is it possible?
The simple truth is that in the hands of good, law abiding citizens like us, crime is prevented. so if murder rates are so low and the trend continues down; the violent crime rate is down and trending further down. why are we seeing so much focus on gun control? For the same reason that you always see it: the mainstream media and the gun grabbers are relying on emotional reactions to “rare” events to panic the population into doing something, even if it is completely irrational.
And of course our current government would love to disarm us all…nice to have subjects rather than free men and women to govern.
Guns prevent crime, they do not create it; guns make us free!
Please use these facts and spread the truth!
Whether your realize it or not, America is becoming saturated with “target enrichment zones.”
You might not have heard the term ”target enrichment zone” before, but doubtless you’re familiar with them.
They’re also known by another name… “Gun Free Zones.”
Therefore, a “target enrichment zone” is any place in the United States where the legal carry of guns is either prohibited or restricted in some way.
Every day more and more places across the U.S. become target enrichment zones. And it should come as no surprise that these are areas where criminals like to work the most.
For example, as soon as Target announced they’d strongly prefer for their customers to leave their guns at home, they were inundated with criminals who began to rob unsuspecting, unarmed customers at their stores.
Several Target stores in the state of Georgia were beset by a series of robberies that left shoppers terrified and victimized. World Net Dailyreported:
On July 5, a woman in the Edgewood area of Atlanta had just parked her Mercedes Benz in a Target parking garage and exited her vehicle when she was approached by a black man who punched her in the head, knocking her to the ground.
He took her purse and car keys, then warned her to “stay on the ground or I will f—ing kill you,” according to police reports.
He then put her car in reverse and would have run her over if she hadn’t rolled out of the way, she told police. She said she obeyed his commands, according to Decaturish.com.
Just a few days prior to that incident, Gainesville County Police arrested Xavier Holland, 21, Zaccari Goudelock, 20, and Kenneth Loving, 17, for robbing a man of his $500 in cash in a Target parking lot.
“Officers did recover a firearm — a handgun — that was utilized during the commission of the crime,” Cpl. Kevin Holbrook told reporters.
What we’re witnessing is how liberal America’s quest to banish guns is actually creating these “target enrichment zones.”
When criminals can knowingly walk into a store, a movie theater, a bank, or any other building that forbids guns, they can carry on with their crime without fear because they know the people who surround them will have no way of defending themselves.
In target enrichment zones criminals can rape, pillage, and murder with impunity.
And all of these scenarios come as a result of companies acquiescing to the cries of irrational gun grabbers and their demands for “no more guns.”
The next time you see a target enrichment zone, think of saying, “Thanks, but no thanks.” Then move on to another location to spend your hard-earned money.
Concealed Carry: Needs vs. Requirements
I took some heat for saying I thought it was a travesty that people in my state could get their CCW permit with only a hunter education card. Let me rephrase that. It is a travesty that anyone WOULD get a CCW permit with only the training offered by Hunter’s Education. [Read more…]
Lately we have all seen the news…somber faces, the one most vivid to me is Diane Sawyer of ABC, all decrying the ever increasing gun violence in our schools, The latest bold text designed to catch your eye…”74 School shootings since Sandy Hook”. This data point comes from no less a source then Michael Bloomberg and his new group “Everytown for Gun Safety“. Of course we all know Bloomberg as the person who is going to rid the United States and all of us of our firearms and indeed our sport! [Read more…]